Stress is a fact of modern life. And as more and more people face greater financial insecurity, longer work hours, and the increasingly complex personal and social demands of our fast-paced, multi-tasking, high-tech lifestyle, finding healthy ways to handle stress is more important than ever.
In Bounce: Living the Resilient Life , Robert Wicks shows you not just how to manage stress, but how to transform stressful situations into opportunities to live a more meaningful, self-aware, and compassionate life. Wicks makes available to everyone techniques he has used for over 30 years in helping physicians, nurses, psychotherapists, educators, social workers, ministers, and relief workers not only survive but flourish in highly stressful occupations. You'll learn a wide range of methods--normally reserved for those in helping and healing professions--to help you bounce back from stress and live life to the fullest.
Bounce shows you how to:
* Recognize the insidious nature of denial and avoidance as responses to stress
* Employ psychologically powerful approaches to self-awareness
* Improve self-talk through the use of cognitive behavioral principles
* Apply daily-debriefing techniques
* Utilize a structured reflection guide to uncover areas that require special attention
* Incorporate silence, solitude, and mindfulness into daily life
* Stop the drain of valuable emotional energy caused by toxic life situations and unexamined attitudes and beliefs
* And much more
Most important, Bounce helps you develop your own self-care protocol and personal renewal program, based on an honest assessment of your needs, life situation, and habitual ways of dealing--or failing to deal--with stress.
Insightful, practical, and filled with wise guidance, Bounce shows us all how to live with greater resilience in a world that grows more stressful by the day.
"Bounce treats us to 'Have a Life!'and live it more fully. Wicks helps us to develop hardiness, learn to debrief ourselves after a hard day, and create a personal self-care program we will actually follow. Insightful, practical, and often humorous, Bounce is the right tonic for the spirit that we need in today's stressful world." --Sister Helen Prejean, author of Dead Man Walking.
There are no customer reviews available at this time. Would you like to write a review?
Oxford University Press
August 01, 2009
Number of Print Pages*
Adobe DRM EPUB
* Number of eBook pages may differ. Click here for more information.