The rich pageant of Britains history emerges nowhere more colorfully than in the story of its kings and queens. This new paperback offers an attractive and authoritative account of the British monarchy, tracing the crowns full history from Anglo-Saxon times to the present. Generously illustrated with maps, photos, paintings, and genealogies, it contains almost 600 entries that offer a wealth of information on the rulers of Britain, including their policies, personalities, key dates, and legacies. It also sheds light on such topics as the right of succession, coronations and marriages, regalia, the Tower of London, and, new to this edition, Westminster Abbey and St. Pauls Cathedral. Revised and fully updated to include recent events, such as the second marriage of Prince Charles, this edition also contains a topical introductory article on the changing role of the monarchy and its relevance in the 21st century. There is a useful glossary, a list of recommended further reading, and a new appendix of recommended web links that can be found on a regularly updated companion website.
* Almost 600 entries cover the rulers of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales from pre-conquest times to the present day House of Windsor
* Comprehensive biographies of the kings and queens of Britain - including their policies, personalities, key dates, and legacies - as well as entries on those closely linked to the throne
* Feature articles on key royal topics, including Coronations and Regalia, and on royal residences including Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle
* Clearly organised content: by region up to 1066 and then by royal line
* Many illustrations, maps, and genealogies complement the engagingly written text
* Appendix of recommended web links, accessed and kept up to date via a companion website
There are no customer reviews available at this time. Would you like to write a review?
Oxford University Press, Incorporated
May 01, 2009
Number of Print Pages*
Adobe DRM EPUB
* Number of eBook pages may differ. Click here for more information.