Judge Thomas Ruffin and the Shadows of Southern History (an article from Southern Cultures 17-3, The Memory Issue)
A visitor to the North Carolina Court of Appeals could be forgiven for failing to notice Judge Thomas Ruffin's statue in an alcove in the building's foyer. Obstructed by a latter-day handicap access ramp, the larger-than-life bronze figure nevertheless stolidly presides. From its opening in 1914 until 1940, this building was the home of the North Carolina Supreme Court, of which Ruffin was chief justice from 1833 to 1852. After 1940, when the Supreme Court moved next door to a building constructed by the Works Progress Administration, the building became known as the Library Building; in 1967, it became home to the newly established Court of Appeals.
There are no customer reviews available at this time. Would you like to write a review?
The University of North Carolina Press
August 31, 2011
Number of Print Pages*
Adobe DRM EPUB
* Number of eBook pages may differ. Click here for more information.