An old photo brings a shocking revelation and it's up to Emily and her best friend Olivia to solve the case!
Fourteen-year-old Emily O'Reilly and her best friend Olivia Webster have a knack for solving mysteries. Emily has been busily training her new puppy Sherlock to be a Search and Rescue dog so that the two can lead search-and-rescue missions someday. So when Emily stumbles across an old photo of Olivia's adoption day-a fact that has never been revealed to Olivia-the two quickly decide to uncover the mysterious details surrounding Olivia's birth parents.
But the two bite off more than they can chew as they dig into learning more about Olivia's adoption without notifying her parents. And to make matters worse, Emily's mother Marika, a convicted felon recently released on parole, will stop at nothing to contact her daughter-a fact that Emily is not happy about.
When her beloved stepmother Naomi disappears, Emily takes it upon herself to connect the dots and conduct her own snow-bound search-and-rescue mission with Sherlock. Will Emily ever find the secret behind Naomi's disappearance? And will Olivia ever learn the truth about her adopted parents?
"Colleen is a master storyteller." -Karen Kingsbury
Common Core Standards:
- R.CCR.1 Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text;
- R.CCR.2 Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas;
- R.CCR.3 Analyze how and why individuals, events, and ideas develop and interact over the course of a text;
- R.CCR.6 Assess how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text;
- R.CCR.9 Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take;
- SL.CCR.1 Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively;
- SL.CCR.2 Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally
There are no customer reviews available at this time. Would you like to write a review?
October 08, 2013
Number of Print Pages*
Adobe DRM EPUB
* Number of eBook pages may differ. Click here for more information.