List Price: $ 29.95
Save 40 % off List Price
Asia Overland: Tales of Travel on the Trans-Siberian & Silk Road
The story of travel through the centuries along Eurasia's great land routes, told through the observations and accounts of many of the world's great travelers, and enhanced by wonderful illustrations both old and new.What was it really like to travel the iron rails of the Trans-Siberian Railway in its early years, the dusty, parched tracks of the Silk Road in its heyday, or the rugged, dangerous mountain passes into and out of the Indian subcontinent? Eurasia's great land routes, offspring of the ambition of Russian tsars, Chinese emperors and Mughal khans, have served human history well, acting as conduits for trade, religion and cultural conventions, and as avenues down which conquering armies and commercial pioneers swarmed in the forging of empires.
With wit and humor, Omrani weaves a tapestry of tales and reports by a panoply of travelers down the centuries, taking the reader on an exciting journey that crosses continents and spans epochs. Richly embellished with stunning photography, detailed maps and fascinating archival illustrations, Asia Overland is a compelling piece of travel literature that will appeal to both modern-day explorers and armchair travelers alike.
- Travel companion and historical travelogue
- Resourced from travel luminaries: from George Kennan to Anton Chekhov, Fa Xian and Xuanzang to Marco Polo and Matteo Ricci, Sir Clarmont Skrine and Francis Younghusband to Peter Fleming and Mildred Cable, Lord Curzon and Sir Alexander Burnes to Yakut al-Hamawi and Ruy Gonzáles de Clavijo
- Fascinating archival images
- Lavish, broad-ranging photography
There are no customer reviews available at this time. Would you like to write a review?
Airphoto International Ltd.
May 21, 2013
Number of Print Pages*
Adobe DRM EPUB
* Number of eBook pages may differ. Click here for more information.