Concepts, design and deployment for Cisco Stateful Firewall solutions
" In this book, Alexandre proposes a totally different approach to the important subject of firewalls: Instead of just presenting configuration models, he uses a set of carefully crafted examples to illustrate the theory in action. A must read!" --Luc Billot, Security Consulting Engineer at Cisco
Cisco Firewalls thoroughly explains each of the leading Cisco firewall products, features, and solutions, and shows how they can add value to any network security design or operation. The author tightly links theory with practice, demonstrating how to integrate Cisco firewalls into highly secure, self-defending networks. Cisco Firewalls shows you how to deploy Cisco firewalls as an essential component of every network infrastructure. The book takes the unique approach of illustrating complex configuration concepts through step-by-step examples that demonstrate the theory in action. This is the first book with detailed coverage of firewalling Unified Communications systems, network virtualization architectures, and environments that include virtual machines. The author also presents indispensable information about integrating firewalls with other security elements such as IPS, VPNs, and load balancers; as well as a complete introduction to firewalling IPv6 networks. Cisco Firewalls will be an indispensable resource for engineers and architects designing and implementing firewalls; security administrators, operators, and support professionals; and anyone preparing for the CCNA Security, CCNP Security, or CCIE Security certification exams.
Alexandre Matos da Silva Pires de Moraes, CCIE No. 6063, has worked as a Systems Engineer for Cisco Brazil since 1998 in projects that involve not only Security and VPN technologies but also Routing Protocol and Campus Design, IP Multicast Routing, and MPLS Networks Design. He coordinated a team of Security engineers in Brazil and holds the CISSP, CCSP, and three CCIE certifications (Routing/Switching, Security, and Service Provider). A frequent speaker at Cisco Live, he holds a degree in electronic engineering from the Instituto Tecnol�gico de Aeron�utica (ITA - Brazil).
* Create advanced security designs utilizing the entire Cisco firewall product family
* Choose the right firewalls based on your performance requirements
* Learn firewall configuration fundamentals and master the tools that provide insight about firewall operations
* Properly insert firewalls in your network's topology using Layer 3 or Layer 2 connectivity
* Use Cisco firewalls as part of a robust, secure virtualization architecture
* Deploy Cisco ASA firewalls with or without NAT
* Take full advantage of the classic IOS firewall feature set (CBAC)
* Implement flexible security policies with the Zone Policy Firewall (ZPF)
* Strengthen stateful inspection with antispoofing, TCP normalization, connection limiting, and IP fragmentation handling
* Use application-layer inspection capabilities built into Cisco firewalls
* Inspect IP voice protocols, including SCCP, H.323, SIP, and MGCP
* Utilize identity to provide user-based stateful functionality
* Understand how multicast traffic is handled through firewalls
* Use firewalls to protect your IPv6 deployments
This security book is part of the Cisco Press Networking Technology Series. Security titles from Cisco Press help networking professionals secure critical data and resources, prevent and mitigate network attacks, and build end-to-end, self-defending networks.
Alexandre has worked with Cisco security technologies since the year 2000 and is a well recognized expert in the LATAM security community. He is a frequent speaker at Cisco Networkers and other security conferences and has helped in training partners and customers in Brazil. In this book, he proposes a totally different approach to the important subject of firewalls: Instead of just presenting configuration models, he uses a set of carefully crafted examples to illustrate the theory in action. From the configuration fundamentals to advanced topics such as voice inspection, multicast, IPv6 and identity-based firewalls, the book unveils important details about the operations of Cisco firewall solutions, enabling the reader to better use this knowledge on security design. A must-read !
--Luc Billot, Security Consulting Engineer at Cisco (Emerging Markets and European Market)
I think that Alexandre's book could have the alternative title 'Cisco Firewalls Illustrated.' The way in which he links theory and practice is really insightful and greatly helps in understanding individual features and making better use of them for security design. Definitely a reference work in the subject !
--Louis Senecal, CCIE 2198, Consulting Systems Engineer, Cisco (Canada)
In this fully illustrated tour of the world of Cisco Firewalls, Alexandre devotes a great deal of attention to data center-related topics. Network virtualization architecture and the protection of environments that include virtual machines figure among the important subjects covered in the book. For those that want to benefit from virtualization without compromising security, this work is highly recommended.
--David Gonzalez, CISSP #99462, Consulting Systems Engineer at Cisco ( LATAM
There are no customer reviews available at this time. Would you like to write a review?
June 01, 2011
Number of Print Pages*
Adobe DRM EPUB
* Number of eBook pages may differ. Click here for more information.